Show reviews that mention
customer service service computer customer laptop support phone problem warranty order
Filter review

Brand new computer, OS corruption, no help!

I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron from Best Buy in Woodbridge VA. Best Buy installed Trend Micro on my new computer. After recent updates of my viral software, my computer began crashing. I am also getting an error message saying there was a problem with the recent Trend Micro update and that the system is using a backed up version. Best Buy wants to charge me about $60 dollars to run diagnostics on my system despite the fact that they 'guarantee' that my computer will be virus free for a year. I've spoken with customer service, the Geek Squad, and the 800# Geek Squad. All contacts insist that it is 'probably' not the Trend Micro, but they will still charge me the diagnostic fee unless my computer is virally infected. Basically, I've paid an annual fee for the service plan, $39.99 for the Trend Micro AntiVirus, and now they want me to pay THEM to fix the computer that should be covered by their CSP.
Alexandria, Virginia

FTC and DEll

Back in January 2008 I purchased a laptop from my neighborhood walmart a Dell 1501 everything was fine until march 2008 when the power supply went bad. I called Dell up and got someone from India who told me I had to register the laptop to me so i went through the process of registering the laptop then he can forward my call to someone who can handle my warranty issue. I talk to someone else he says I need to register my laptop please hold while i transfer the call to someone to register it. I told him it was just registered but he transfers me anyway. Again I register the laptop and get transferred to someone else who takes my complaint tells me I need a new power supply but first I have to register my laptop he can do this but will be a minute please hold so I am put on hold this time. A few minutes later a 4th person comes on the line who i have to tell my problem too he says i need a new power supply they can ship one to me and then I return the old but first I need to register my laptop he can do this and again i register my laptop. he says he will ship me the part will be here thursday (I doubted this date due to fact it was after 3pm in texas and for most part fed ex and UPS don't make pick ups after 3 to my knowledge. two weeks later I still haven't received a power supply I call in again they tell me it is because my laptop isn't registered to me you can do this online of course and here I am with a dead battery on my laptop. a trip to the library and I register it online. next day to give time for system to be updated as advised by tech support I call again and still my laptop is not registered. The tech support person will do this again and make sure I get registered I will get a confirmation email for the next week I go to the library no email I'm tired of dealing with it. I open up my power supply since my other dell laptop power supply is not compatible nor is any of the other 10 power supplies I have laying around the house both mine and friends as they are from other manufacturers this could be understandable the Dell power supplies should have been compatible though in my opinion. Anyways I replace the blown fuse (had the fuse been an online fuse i could have replaced it without violating the warranty maybe). Now my laptop works again I go to the dell website and post about my experience on their forum i attempt to use thier online tech support after waiting 45 minutes I have to go to the bathroom now the agent comes online is there about 1 minute max because I don't respond he leaves the chat. About 2 weeks ago I finally get an email saying the contact info for my laptop has been updated when I followed the link provided it had the wrong information posted on it including name address city state the only info that was right was my service number that dell has on the bottom of the computer. I have since attempted to get a mailing address for Dell and no one will provide it to me. my forum posting was removed 10 minutes after posting it with my complaints about dell computers and I have filed a complain with the FTC. If I was you I would file a complaint there as well Oh btw since all this has happened my enter key has broken off on my laptop should I call tech support again or just deal with the broken off key until I buy a new laptop?????

an i quote from Paul "dont just let the tech push you aside i know that they are big and busy but a supervisor will get you results" I have tried this several times even asking to speak to the supervisor's supervisor all to no avail my laptop (original post in this thread) is now dead.

I now have a toshiba that cost me less then $400 and so far after 4 months of owning it I have had not one issue other then the fact that ther is not enough usb ports, oh well i can live with that as i saw that before I even purchased it.

Dells customer support is known for hanging up on people especially when you ask to speak to a supervisor or telling you the supervisor is out to lunch right now.

Dell, should just change it's name to *** becuase that is what you get when you get a defective unit. I still recommend that anyone who has a problem with their Dell laptops that they contact the FTC only once several complaints are filed can anything really be done but each complaint sent in puts our complaints one closer to them being force to rectify their problems

I have been a loyal dell customer for years. I actually always had great experience until recently when I had a problem and had to get in contact with their support.

services. I recently purchase a new lab top from dell and it's been a nightmare since I received it. It never works well so I am constantly calling dell customer and tech service which is the worse. First of all I can't understand what they are saying.

After 3-4 hours of trying to resolve my many issues I still get no where. I was assigned an individual by the name of Saran who never returns my calls and is no help so I contacted tech support. I finally get someone who can help after 3-4 hours of trying, taking time away from my new born and 5 year old son. I am now exhaused I have already had it replaced once and everytime I chat with or call support they tell me to do the recovery cleanup and that only helps for a short while then it starts messing up again.

I called customer service because I had contacted Tech support so many times and they keep telling me the same things that don't work. I explained to them that I give Dell alot of business and even have a small business where I bought many pc's and servers from dell. The million customer service rep I spoke to that night said that she would transfer me to tech support. When I told her I've been there a millions times in the last week she said she would send me over but stay on the line and explain my issue which she never did.

After being on hold for 30 minutes I was hung up on this happen several times. I wanted to contact the coporate office to let them know that they lost a customer that spends alot of money with them every year and when I told them that they only laughed and said do what I want. Dell already lost a loyal customer but I wanted to at least let someone know at corporate support that this has happened so it doesn't happen to someone else. I've only had this computer for a month and the first week I was told to get my item fix I would have to pay, I just payed over $800 for this computer I am spending nothing else.

When I ask to speak with someone in the US they told me I have to pay. When I ask for any help I am told I have to pay I just brought this computer and believe me I am paying alot but I promise you I will never pay for another Dell. Buy a Mac or a computer that actually work. Dell take advantage of their good customers .

I finally asked to speak to a manager at the customer service and instead of trying to help me when i told him about my problem he said what do I expect it's a machine it breaks, I understand that but it's suppose to work and not be broken when I receive it and people who is suppose to help me should help and no put me on hold forever, make excuses, and pass me around like a bowl. I am so disappointed at Dell and I want the world to know thier customer service is the worse and is no service at all and I promise you that all my business associates, clients, staff, family and anyone with an ear will know about my experience with dell.

I just got off the phone with Dell for about the fifth time and my problem is still not resolved. I called customer service just to get an address to write a complaint and they would not give me an address.

Does anyone have an address for Dell. I have one to return parts I ordered but not one for someone in charge.

Wow it sounds like you have had a run around yes you should call tech support but when you dont get what you need ask for a supervisor dont just let the tech push you aside i know that they are big and busy but a supervisor will get you results good luck and you can call this 1-80*-***-**** for customer service dell lives by their service just dont give up you will get what your suppost to

View more comments (3)
ID
#122067 Review #122067 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Houston, Texas

Customer service ***

I recently bought a Dell for my trading purposes. Upon ordering I specifically informed them what I needed it for and the desired capabilities including dual screen capability. Upon arrival, it did not have the video card that was part of the package that I paid for and no dual screen capability. I figured it was a simple mistake and Dell would surely rectify the situation. Well, in trying to get this fixed, I have spent 5+ hours, talked to a total of 16 different representative and been disconnected 4 seperate. They finally after refusing to send me the proper video card that I paid for, gave in and sent it. I was suppose to have a call from the tech department to assist me in putting it in the machine without voiding the warranty. They did not so I called and after being switched around as usual to several different reps, I found a person to assist me. Then my computer started to freeze up. My journey started all over again because at this point I just wanted a whole new system, or better wanted my several hours of life back and wished I would of never dealt with Dell in the first place. They have agreed to send me a new computer and I hope my nightmare with Dell is over. The sad thing is that I used Dell because it is an Austin company which is where I live and I wanted to support my local workers. I know several hundred traders which essentially buy new computers every 2 years to have the fastest computer for their trading. I would like to recommend a local company (Dell) with confidence but I only can warn as many people as possible at this point to avoid Dell until they get their act together.
ID
#122032 Review #122032 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Austin, Texas
Dell Desktop Computer
Loss

Dell computer tech service sucks

fatal error message which locks up my computer. i been through 8 techs and a tech manager. now im not computer savvy but if these people from india are techs im a monkeys uncle. look out mac here i come . dell tech support and customer service sucks. i spent 5 weeks trying to resolve this fatal error issue with these goons and many hours on the phone each tech did exactly the same functions to no avail. so here i sit pissed and still have a computer that dont work correctly and dell dont give a hoot . so mac is back in my house

I completely agree with you, I had the same problem with my computer, but I think that I was more patience on that, but I wont buy DELL anymore.

I had a problem with my computer, and as you said, they just sent new part and new parts, and the computer still having the same problem, some parts were replace twice and some three times, but the most *** thing was that a technitian came one day to replace the motherboard, and another one came back the next day the replace the motherboard again... can you imagine how much time I lost!!!

Actually, the computer still having the problem, and now... finally, after two week of fight with customer care, technical support and an supervisors, they are going to replace the computer, and that will take one week to order and another week to deliver it... More than a month, so, believe me, this technical support just sucks, they lie to me several times... and actually this is not the fist time that I had problems with this computer, every time that I have a problem, probably take me about a week to solve it.

An another thing, is about the Diagnosis test, those are such an inaccurate test, because I was having problems with my fan and my harddrive, and the test still saying that everything was ok, even when I was turning on the computer says that I have a hardfrive problem, they just run the diagnosis and pass it, and they said.. the Harddrive is fine, doesn't need to replace it, after a week of complaints they finally decide to replace it, they dont ever care about the customer, or custormer thoughts, :( I think they just wanted you to give up trying to solve the problem and buy another computer... no way... I know some people doesn't complain because I was a very cheap computer, but you have to... Actually I paid more than 2000 USD for this one, but even if I pay only 700 USD I'll complaint about it.

Can you Imagine the amount of money that I lost because this computer is not working for more than 2 weeks and I still dont have a solution, cuz I have to wait two weeks more to receive the new one?, I can even buy a new one, yeah... but that one will be an apple.

My advice is... if you are going to use your computer for work, never, but never buy a DELL, even if you are under the business program, mine one was under the business program, because I used to have one in the home and office program but it takes a lot of time to solve the problems, so this one I bought it under the business program and still taking the same time to solve a problem: FOREVER.

So, don't buy it if you are planning to use for business, cuz you never know how long that will take to solve the problem and how much time you will spend taking in the phone (pretty much is like 95% waiting for somebody to help and 1% saying you information that at the end of the day the guy in the phone will ask always the information that you put in the phone, and 3% transfering to one department to another, and NOBODY will help you!!!).

So, if you paid 2000 uss for a laptop, at the end it cost you double for the time that you lost and the money that you lost because is not working.

But, if you are a very.... veeeeeeerrrryyyyyy... i mean super verrrryyy patient, that you can wait months for somebody to help solving a problem that you computer might have.... I'll carefully recommend a DELL because it's cheap, without taking into account the money that you will lose because the computer is not working.

I forgot this other thing, they supposed to have an history of your computer issues in the system right? But this doesn't work, because everytime that you call you have to explain the problem, and if they transfer to somebody else, that somebody will ask for the problem again, and if that guy try something to solve and doesn't work will transfer to another guy that will ask you what happend again an will try the same thing that the guy before, so... why they give you a case number... it never works... so I suggest, If you already have a dell, don't let them transfer, try to... because they will keep transferring and transferring, take that guy an dont hang up until they solve the problem, but first take all the information of the guy, cuz when they get tired, they used to hang up, and you have to start over again !!!

:( With the information of the guy that was with you in the phone, you can write back to the supervisor and complaint about it... anyways... they'll never do anything if you write a friendly letter to the surpervisor, you have to be picky with the service, and write a real letter explaining how frustrated you are with the problem and the hurry that you have to solve the problem, otherwise they never gonna put attention on the letter.

You know, I spent my whole life calling to DELL and now I have experience how they treat you and everything, so it never has to be like this... so if you need some advice, I'll be glad to assist you... (I'm starting to sound like a dell technician.. jajaj).

Reston, Virginia

Inferior product not meant to last

I have a dell dimension E510 that is 2 1/2 years old and already its kaput. The screen went black on me, and i guess its a video card because the monitor led lite shows it is on and so does the cpu led. When new, i had to talk several hours to somebody in India just to get the *** thing to work. I had to plug in and unplug the ram. This is the sorriest product i have ever paid good money for. I am typing this email on a compaq computer that is now 8 years old and never had a glitch. Thank you

If that system is 8 yrs old you might as well type your next email on a typewriter, that way you can guarantee no glitches.

Arlington, Texas

Screwed by Dell

I have been in the search for a new lap top for a while. I really wanted a Mac - because they are AMAZING. But, the Mac I looked at was $1800 and that is a lot. So my mom suggested getting a Dell because they start at $800. This was much more appealing and so I agreed it was probably a better idea. So I started looking at the lap tops and looking at what I needed. It came out to about $1800 because unlike a Mac, you have to buy the software and pay for all of the things like wireless cards that just automatically come with a Mac. I also had to pay EXTRA to get Windows XP, the version before Vista. Let me say that again, I had to pay EXTRA to get the older version of Windows. I should have known after that not to buy a Dell but I did anyway. My mom actually had a credit card with them that would allow me to make monthly payments. So I thought ok this will be fine, I am not doing any photo work I really just need this for Internet and word processing. So the computer was ordered and delivered. I started setting up the wireless network at my house with my Internet because whats the point of a lap top if you have to be plugged in?? So I got everything working with Netgear on the phone and set all my passwords etc but when we finished the computer wouldn't connect to the wireless network. It recognised the network but wouldn't connect. So we called Time Warner Cable and worked with them. They said the Internet was working and the wireless router was fine and that we needed to call Dell. So we called Dell. We were on the phone with them for over and hour and a half. They couldn't tell us what was wrong but said we could call their wireless specialists for a fee and they would fix it. This was very upsetting - who wants to pay Dell to fix their brand new computer? So I took my computer to the studio where I work and tried to log onto the studio network. It didn't happen and when I asked the studio owner for help he said first "why did you buy a Dell?!" and second most PC's aren't compatible with the wireless networks in the studios we work in. OK, now I am really, really sorry I got a Dell. One more chance before giving up completely, I tried to log onto the free public network provided to the city - no dice! My computer asked for a network key to get onto every network I tried. You should need a pass word for a secure network that's it! And a free unlocked network is just that! So I went home immediately and called Dell to return my computer. I got an operator and told him what was wrong and he asked me to tell him the date of my invoice. I did and he said I'm sorry ma'am your computer is 24 days old and we only return up to 21 days. Are you kidding me?!! You can return anything to Dell for up to 30 days - except the actual computer. I was PISSED! So I said I still wanted to talk to customer service so he connected me. 47 minutes later I was still on hold. So I hung up and called back and went to tech support. I figured one more shot..... they connected to my laptop through remote access and did the same stuff the Dell, Netgear and Time Warner people did the day before. When the Dell tech couldn't fix it after 45 minutes he said you have 2 options: "You can call Netgear and ask them to "hide" your network so you can turn off your security system" - um no security protection at all and you think a hacker can't "find" my unprotected network?? So I asked what the other option was. The Dell tech said "Well You can call our Dell network experts and they can help you but you have to pay them". I'm sorry, I am paying $1800 for this computer and you want me to PAY for network help?!! The guy on the phone said I'm sorry ma'am, we don't guarantee network compatibility, we only guarantee the computer and the wireless card are good. I shouldn't have to settle when it comes to my NEW lap top and security system. The security system, by the way, was the one Dell sent with the computer: Trend Micro. Which happens to be very good, but you would think that Dell would make sure their computer work with the security system they are recommending and sending to their customers. So you can buy a Dell lap top to use wirelessly but if it doesn't work - figure it out yourself and make sure you do it in 21 days. Oh, but remember if you return a Dell you are going to have to pay a 15% restocking fee. I can understand this because I am sure people buy lap tops and change their mind. But this is not a simple "I changed my mind". This is: I bought a lap top to use while I travel around and work in different locations and it is not compatible for what ever reason with wireless networks. It doesn't do what I bought it to do and what Dell advertises it can do. Moral of the story: Don't buy a Dell!

I agree DELL is the worst company out there, I have had many run ins with these jerks, and I will tell I will never buy a dell again.

New York, New York
Dell Laptop

Defective new product not replaced.

I purchased and received a new Dell Inspiron 1520 computer on May 5, 2008. I reported that I had a defective keyboard on May 18, 2008. At first, I experienced a problem pressing the “R” key on the keyboard. The key would lock and not allow me to press it while typing. Then ten minutes later, it would work and I would experience the exact same thing with the “4” key on the keyboard. The latest characteristic I have experienced is the inability of the computer to register or recognize the “1” key. Although it would allow me to press the key, it would not register on the screen. During that phone conversation, I was informed that the keyboard is a “customer replaceable part” and hence a replacement keyboard with installation directions would be sent to me and that I would have to open the case of the computer and replace the keyboard. The fact that the computer was brand new and just received from the company was not an issue nor was the fact that a novice like myself is not capable of such a task. The issue with my concern is that I am experiencing an intermittent problem with this “NEW” computer. The computer will work fine much of the time, and all of a sudden a problem arises. When new products experience intermittent problems, it is a clear sign that the product is defective. Once again, I am insulted that DELL CORPORATION would send me a replacement keyboard labeled “REFURBISHED” and consider this a solution to this problem. There is clearly a problem with this “new” computer and I am requesting what I purchased - a “new” computer to replace this obviously defective computer.
Hackensack, New Jersey

Dell

I ordered a Canon Rebel XSi from these jerks. Got a confirmation invoice, and waited the 3 weeks for it to ship. On my shipping date, I still hadn't been charged. What happened? They canceled the order! Why? Because they were out of stock. Then why confirm our order? Beyond that, why not let us know you canceled it, instead of making us find out on our own? Oh thats right, they don't care about their customers. Anyone surprised? Dell may be "reputable" but they're just as *** as any other company. I could have had my camera by now...
Kalamazoo, Michigan

XPS 720 - Do They Ever Work??

My new $4200 dell computer does not work. I have spent countless hours with Dell trying to resolve the problems. Each time you call them you speak to a different person who has a different idea. I have reinstalled twice which means i have lost all my data twice, not counting the time when they replaced the hard drive which did nothing. Dell will not replace the sytem under any circumstance it seems nor will they give any timetable for replacing the further hardware.Now they do not return my attempts at contacting them. I paid extra for what i thought was a 2year at-home warrenty which i now is totally flawed.
Boston, Massachusetts

Not meet their end of the contract, ever.

I have called three times now becaue I never received my printer or plasma and the answer I get is, "I'll submit a claim" How many claims need to be submitted before I get all my things? The warranty on the computer already expired and I still havent gotten a printer. There's no one I can speak to but customer service. Who runs this business and what are they hiding from? I don't think it's fair that they lie. Close your business, period. Lucky for me my lawyers are already looking into the whole scam. Thanks
ID
#120988 Review #120988 is a subjective opinion of poster.
El Centro, California
Dell Warranty

I thought my Computer Was Perfect

I bought my laptop from Dell about last January. After i bought it i decided to get everything setup. It took me three hours to get my laptop hooked up to my wireless printer. Three hours!!!! A simple thing like that should have taken three minutes. After a while i got over it. A month later I was doing a report and i went to print it and my laptop said that it had lost communication with my Dell wireless computer. Now come on, if a dell specialist can't make my laptop be fine with my printer network for one month then they should be out on the streets begging for money. Frankly, i think that the Dell specialists should be paid below minimum wage for the terrible work they do. I got that resolved a week ago and now a week later my laptop CAN'T PRINT!!! DELL DO YOU HERE THAT!!!!Whatever you do DO NOT buy a dell laptop or printer.
ID
#120908 Review #120908 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Wilmington, Delaware
Dell Laptop

Emachine computer does not work

I purshed an emachine computer in April 2007 with a 2 year warranty. In March 2008, my son put the computer on sleep so when we come back from during an errand he could get back on it without rebooting the computer. Well I thought the computer was off and I hit the reboot button so it could start up the computer. It would not start nor shut down. I called tech support and the support person went over the instruction of how to reboot my computer, which did not help, because they had to send me a fan motor so the computer could reboot to come on. Now the mouse would not work and I call the tech support (again). This time I had to send the computer to them (free of charge). Tech support said it will take them 5 days to 7 weeks before the modem come back to me. Ok, I recieved my computer back on May 9, 2008 Friday (the box was picked on May 5, 2008 Monday) the computer was not fixed because they said my computer was infested with something and they could not jeopardize taking my modem in the building. Now because my mouse is not fix the computer is useless. I thought I purchased a quality computer for a good price. Well, I was wrong. I would like to inform the person(s) who is thinking about purchasing an emachine computer, Please don't waste your money because I did.
ID
#120639 Review #120639 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Memphis, Tennessee
Loss

Dell...worst company on the planet!

I purchased a refurb from their web-site three weeks ago. I still have not received this even after getting an e-mail telling me it shipped on 5-1. I've called everyday since and have been told only one thing...we are working on it, check back in 24-48 hours. As od today nobody at Dell can tell me where this computer is or when I will receive what I paid for. I have never in my life had such poor service! I'm contacting the Attorney General in my state to look at fraudulent business practices from this company. Be smart, do not buy from this Company!!!!!!

Amen brother. Boycott DELL!

Have them bring home the outsourced jobs to America.

Those company's that outsource is only a drain on our economy. BoyCott them all!

ID
#120469 Review #120469 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota

Dell, Awful Computers and even worse Customer Service

My husband and I have bought a total of 3 computers from Dell, the first of which was completely defective. After several attempts of Dell trying to fix it with no success we then requested that dell replace the computer and they refused. I had to fight for months sepnding hours upon hours on hold or arguing with supervisors before they finally did exchange it. When we recieved the supposedly "new" computer it said refurbished and again this computer to this day does not work right. Dell now refuses to give me any tech support on this becuase the warranty on the original defective unit has expired even thought this one is supposed to be new. The other 2 that we have, one other desk top and a laptop, neither work right becuase of windows vista issues and after several attempts to contact dell for tech support(waiting on hold for more then 40+min each call) and waiting for over 1 month for them to call us back I have yet to have any call backs or any of the issues resolved on my compputers. I highly reccomend people not to buy Dell and to go one step further I would not ever buy computer with any windows program again after the havock Vista has caused on all of my computers (I will be making a sperate complaint for this). Looks like Macs for me from now on, I wish I would have gone with them to begin with.

I also have to add this, I *** hate Microsoft. I do keep Windows around for gaming only (because nowadays you NEED windows for gaming) but everything else is Mac...or Linux which I use at work.

Everything they have ever made is ***, and worst of all it's *** that they ripped off from someone else. DOS, Windows, Xbox, Zune.

yeah Dell + Microsoft = ***. People think 'oh wow a 300 dollar computer' well...you get what you pay for unfortunately.

Currently I have two computers in my house, one is an iMac and the other is a custom-built.

I use my custom built (which actually does run Windows Vista relatively well, I say relatively because it was designed by Microsoft after all) for gaming and I use the Mac for everything else. It seems nowadays that all anyone wants is a computer at the cheapest prices possible, but I would rather pay more for the performance of a Macintosh, or a Custom Built Windows PC.

ID
#119869 Review #119869 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Dell Laptop

3 strikes and you are out DELL!!!!!

Bought my xps m1210 late last year and it seems to be getting real hot on the vent. Dell sent out technicians not once but 3 times to fix it and also argued with the technicians as they did not believe that my notebook was hot (funny stuff that). I have asked for my money back but instead they want to give me another the new xps 1330 with warranty only lasting for the remainder of my first notebook:(..If I ask for my money back, I have to pay $174 for delivery and 20% cost for restocking for a product they dont sell and me not getting what I paid for. How does this work????? So, I am still arguing out my with Dells head office in Australia. I want my full refund.... ANY SUGGESTIONS????????

:sigh

Dell is awful but their laptops do run very hot and its not a defect.

ID
#119779 Review #119779 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Melbourne, Victoria