1.9
Ease of Use
Style and Design

In July 2018 I purchased a Dell Precision 7530 with a discrete Nvidia Quadro P2000 video card. All went well until the end of September of 2018, when the video card died and the computer would not even boot. Unfortunatly this was 20 days or so over the 90 day automatic replacement warranty.

Service call #1: Dell sent out a service technician who could not repair and had to order another item. In the process he manhandled the motherboard, flexing it and bending it, along with the keyboard. After reassembly it, there were around a dozen left-over screws.

Service call #2: Dell sent out the same technician who had been instructed to use more force to work on the motherboard. He applied a lot of force to the laptop components, including bending the heatpipes. This failed and again, the technician had leftover parts.

UNPLEASANT DISCOVERY #1: I spoke with the apparently off-shore service dispatcher to determine the course of events. I stated that before the technician started working on the unit, I would like to know what the steps would be to fix the computer. Given what had happened, what would be the next steps? The dispatcher immediately said that because I had refused service... To make a long story short, Dell dispatchers appear to have a set of scripts they will enter into their computer, regardless of the reality.

Service call #3: I sent the laptop to Dell's repair depot. It was returned able to boot. However, the Nvidia quadro P2000 video card was missing. I spoke with Dell service on the phone. Dell had me take a picture of the Bios and send it to them. The BIOS clearly showed that there was no discrete graphics card present. I asked Dell to simply replace the computer. Dell service said the would not. I then told Dell to communicate only by email.

UNPLEASANT DISCOVERY #2: Dell will use stalling tactics to avoid communicating by email. Every time emailed Dell asking them to contact me by email, the called me on the phone and left a message asking me to call them.

I sent three certified letters in an attempt to settle before litigation and that I would respond only by email. Each time Dell had the same technican call me and leave a message for me to call him.

After the third certified letter, the technician called. But the story had changed. Now the problem Dell said I was having was not a missing graphics card, it was "with drivers."

This is not the computer I purchased for $3,560, and it is useless to me without the discrete video card.I am now taking Dell to small claims court.

I didn't like: Bad product and worse service.

Comments