I purchased a laptop from Dell in the US and configured it for my father-in-law in Puerto Rico. Then, I shipped it to him. Now I want to transfer ownership (and Dell support) to him. Dell has a "Transfer Ownership- International" page. I entered all of the required information there, and received this simple response on the next webpage- "Thank you! Your request has been sent successfully. Thank you for choosing Dell."

But, when I checked with Dell the following day, they still showed me as the owner.

So I went back and filled in the same form again, and got the same reply.

Then I called Dell and they said, you need to go to the Dell-Puerto Rico website, and make the request there.

Well, I hunted around and could not find any "transfer ownership" screen on the Dell-PR site. So, I tried to call Dell-PR, but it was Saturday, and nobody was home.

Then, I decided to send an email to Dell-PR telling them of my need and my difficulties. Today I received a reply telling me I needed to fill out that "Transfer Ownership- International" form which I had already done twice.

Next, I decided to call Dell Customer Support and ask "what gives?" and the Customer Support rep told me that it can take up to 10-15 days for a transfer of ownership to be completed.

Well, I asked him to explain why it took so long, and his basic answer was "It's complicated."

I asked him to check their system and just verify that my request was "in the ***", and he said he could not do that. I asked who could check it, and he said no one could check it, and that I would just have to wait until it goes through. He said I would have to keep checking for myself to see when the change went through. I asked, "How can I be sure that the request wasn't lost?" He said I have to wait. I asked is my request stored in a database, he said yes it was. I asked again could someone just query that database. He said no it can't be done.

I asked what would happen in the mean time if there was a problem with the computer, and he said that Dell-PR would be unable to help my father-in-law (the laptop is already in Puerto Rico, you see.)

How could anything so simple be so amazingly messed up and incompetent!!!!???? This is a computer company who doesn't even know how to manage their own database!!

Review about: Dell Laptop.

Had an Experience with Dell?

Comments

Dell say it is 15-20 business days and no feedback on submit or during the process.Could be that the business is like a francize in other countries and they do not care about other countries - other plans, other salaries, other bosses, who cares

They have a serial number from where any service guy knoDell say it is 15-20 business days and no feedback on submit or during the process. Could be that the business is like a francize in other countries and they do not care about other countries - other plans, other salaries, other bosses, who cares

At apple I just gave my USA or Romania tablets to my international truck driver, he left them in Austria at a service and took them back at return. They have a serial number from where any service guy know the whole history of the device and the warranty. You do not need Artificial Intelligence or Hadoop database to do that.

They do not care

w the whole history of the device and the warranty.

You do not need Artificial Intelligence or Hadoop database to do that.They do not care

how to cancel the request i have given for ownership transfer?

Transfers of ownership often take a couple of weeks with many companies so what you experienced is not unusual.That is why the folks at Dell did not get excited to help you.

It is highly probable that the processing is outsourced to the lowest bidder in India, China, or Romania.

Just hope that they do not resell all your personal information in the process.Dell would never do that but they really have little control over the remote outsourced work.

If it is a portable system, it qualifies for "Service First" which is international support.Rules state that any portable travelling outside the country in which it was purchased is eligible for troubleshooting and parts replacement as long as it has not been in that country for longer than 6 months.

After that 6 months period, the Int.Transfer of Ownership should have kicked in, if it hasn't already.

"Transfer Ownership- International" form do take some time to complete and process. There are several reasons for this. 1. They have to verify the info on the form to make sure that it is a legitimate transfer. 2. Country and the enduser that the system being transferred to is not in the Denied Party List. 3. It is done manually by someone in a specific department. There are other reasons as well that I don't know.

Customer Service Rep and Technical Support Rep do not have access to the database that stores the ownership tag transfer request so they have no way confirm that for you. They are not giving access because they do not have rights to them. You will have to wait say 3 weeks after submitting the request to check if it processed. If not, then call Technical Support and ask them to use internal channel to submit the request. You may have to escalate this to a Supervisor (not Manager as they do not know about this procedure) for an internal email if there is one.

For the case of support in PR, your father-in-law need to call PR Technical Support for help if needed and specifically stated to the tech agent before giving any info that the system is a US system that was giving to him by you and that he is currently residing in PR. So a PR resident with a US system. Confirmed that the agent is clear about this before giving the service tag. Give your father-in-law all of your info for verification purpose. You might want to call CS or TS to include a...