1.4

Dell - Labor Day Shopping: The Right and Wrong of IT

6 minutes ago

NOT RESOLVED

1.5

Labor Day Shopping: The Right and the Wrong of It.

The weekend is just about here, a time when people get to celebrate the hard work they do every year. Starting August 31st many of us will be on line evaluating the choices and prices of the companies that will vying for our consumer dollar. Or, put another way, your hard-earned money. Among the deals you can anticipate concern electronics of most every kind, including computers. This is a good time to remind you to be wary of Dell. Hundreds, I know, have read the posts I put up on this company’s abominable treatment of consumers, particularly where the computer warranties are concerned. What I personally experienced in Dell was a company that doesn’t care aa whit about their customers. Not at all, no matter who you talk to or what level. It is my opinion that Dell has the worst customer service of any company, anywhere and I’ve been around the globe. If you’re just coming to the discussion here’s a short recap. I had laptop, the one Dell was advertising as it’s flagship and it developed a problem malfunctioning after only months of use. I sent in my laptop, filled out the proper paperwork, and my request was denied almost immediately. “This is your fault,” they claimed. “You’re not covered because you spilled something on the keyboard. I explained that “no” nothing was spilled on the keyboard unless it happened in their shop. Even as a six-year-old I knew electronics and water do not mix. They offered to fix it for $385 which frankly I could afford but there was no way I was going to have the money extorted out of me. I told them I was going to start a mass media campaign educating the consumer to be careful about where they buy their computers. There are companies out there that do remember what customer service is and who genuinely care about those who buy their products. Lenovo (I have four) is one of those companies. Honestly, I have never been treated better and whereas Dell would duck and dodge, Lenovo said, “we’ll send you a box and label.” What could be easier? A week or two later my computer arrived and has been working like new. Not just this difference in attitude that needs to be considered. When I wrote Lenovo, I got an answer. A prompt and logical one. It was apparent that Dell was not going to do anything from the start. Insofar that I consider my self a reasonable person, I said to Dell. Just send me a picture of the damage and the technician’s report. I know I didn’t spill anything, I’d like to see your proof that I did. Nothing. It’s been close to a year now. Nothing. Dell has a decision-making team made up of various managers from the organization, so far as I can tell. The woman who spoke for the team was useless and the team a joke. If they do engage in discussion and conflict resolution there is no sign of anything having taken place. All you get are glittering generalities and a repeat of the party line. Lenovo’s executive customer care team is as good as it gets. From the very first exchange you know you’re in good hands. I wrote Michael Dell and I wrote key members of the Board. Again, nothing.

I had a way of calling a multi-billion dollar company’s CEO who wrote back the very next day. He was so disgusted with Dell’s behavior that he authorized his company to buy the Dell laptop from me. He did this even after I explained that it come back worse than when I sent it to Dell. Now it was wholly trash, a very expensive doorstop that cost me hundreds of dollars. In less than a week I had this refund from a person who knows injustice when he sees it and who cares about customer rights. Indeed, he cared enough to solve a problem that wasn’t his. There are good companies and good people out there.

Dell won’t change its behavior because I am a disgruntled consumer, who gave them bad reviews for a year (and almost a year to make good on its warranty). It may, however, change its attitude and practices toward consumers if 100,000 or more of us do not buy their products this weekend.

There you have it: a genuine caveat emptor moment.

Remember Labor Day starts with “L” and so does Lenovo.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: That i never have to deal with this company again.

I didn't like: Anything about my dell experience, Neverdellnever.

Review #1343031 is a subjective opinion of UniqueSeaTurtle.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Everything associated with my dell experience.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Aug 31.

Comments