Verified Reviewer

1.6

So I bought this Alienware 17 R4 late 2019 after saving quite a few to buy what was supposed to be a problem-free machine to last my lifetime. It worked quite well while it was under warranty, but almost as scheduled, it started acting up after warranty expired.

Little did I know that this piece of tech would become the channel through which I would meet my share of field technicians and phone operators.

After having it run one of those overnight updates that we are frequently subject to, I found that the equipment was shut off and subsequent tries to turn it on failed miserably. With Dells support on my phone, we proceeded to make some test which the operator on the other side of the line diagnosed as being a short circuit in the motherboard.

Well, few days later, a technician came, confirmed the diagnostic, and installed the replacement, only to have it fail at the final tests a factory defect on the replacement board, he said. Another replacement was ordered, and Ray went his way promising that Dell would get in touch and the next technician would solve the issue. Few days later, my doorbell rang late at night after standard commercial hours and it was an unscheduled, unannounced technician to try his hand at it.

Security concerns all around, but he showed the business card and the replacement motherboard, as well as the service order, so in he came (but, come on Dell, not cool).

After three hours disassembling and tweaking the components (and a few swear words at them), this untrained and barely-prepared technician gave a darker diagnostic, that even more components needed to be replaced. Quite some time to assemble it back, Anderson went home defeated and I remained without what was supposed to be a companion machine that never fails.

Five days of silence on Dells part, I contacted their support line and was informed that my case was being escalated to the high level of support, as they wanted to have the next service agent to solve this machine once and for all. Spoiler alert, he didnt. Marcel came and very dexterously handled the equipment, exchanging the whole set of components they sent this time.

But he shared with me that he suspected that it wouldnt solve the problem, as the issue was somewhere else according to his first impressions. Welp, self-fulfilling prophecy I guess. After replacing almost all the components, no success and a fourth different diagnostic. Report made, he went home and repeated the same promise that the next one would be the one to fix it.

Sincerely, by this point, after almost a month without my equipment which is also a source of income I think it would be the case to simply take my HDD/SSD and plug into a new piece.

It would save so much time from so many people. But alas, Dell remains adamant on prolonging the suffering of everyone involved

User's recommendation: If you can avoid being at the mercy of their aftersale support, do it as fervently as you can.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

Comments